Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Eeek!

So, when my sister first signed up for NaNoWriMo a few years back, I was ho-hum about the whole idea. I was awed that she had the gumption to go for it.... I mean, 50,000 words is a lot. But um... yeah. There was no way whatsoever that I would consider doing it. I had a life.

By the time 2011 rolled around, I had gotten to the point where I enjoyed writing. It was fun. I therefore considered Nano.

Briefly.

Suffice it to say that when the deadline to sign up came along I'd decided "Noooooope. I have a life, remember? I don't even have a story to write for it!"

Ahem.

The beginning of October brought on loads of my bloggy friends/acquaintances talking about nanowrimo--why they were doing it/why they were not. And I was like, "Maybe I should try for it this year."

I vacillated wildly for a while doing things like:

I will!

I can't.

Should I?

What if I can't make it to 50,000 words??????

I will!

I don't know.................

Amy  solved the problem for me by coming over a few days ago and signing me up for me.

*SCREAMS*

So here I am. Freaking out. Don't mind me, it's just a malfunction of the nervous system. Happens all the time.

Luckily this time I have a basic outline and some potentially good characters which I think I can turn into better, substantially less flat characters.

Meet Monica:

minus the modern hair and plus some fantasy peasant clothes. 

And Sir Dominic:

Same as Monica. Plus a sword and a very epic cloak.

I'm still not sure where I'm going with the story. Luckily most of my work tends to write itself. I'm one of those people who usually just writes down an idea and then revises about a billion times. :)

As it is, I am nervous.

I am psyched!

I am apprehensive.

I think this will be the kick I needed to buckle down and actually get some work done!

I am biting the inside of my mouth in agitation.

I'm excited!

November, dear. I am coming. Watch out.


14 comments:

  1. Ooh this is exciting! I'm so glad you are doing it!!! :D I almost considered doing it but then I realized after my two failed attempts to write stories, that I probably wouldn't finish it. And if I was being realistic, that with all the stuff going on in my life, I probably wouldn't finish this one either. But im super pysched you are doing it because I wanna read it! :) Good luck and congrats!!! I love the characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, I'm just really, really hoping I have the get-up-and-go to do it.

      I've only ever finished one story actually. I was thirteen. It kinda stank. lol. Oh well. This one will be better. :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck! Have fun! Don't stress about it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to!

      Have fun, I mean. Not stress. lol

      Delete
  3. Woohoo! Good luck! :D Your characters are lovely. and she absolutely looks like a Monica.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! I never make up a character that I can pinpoint an actress/actor for. It's usually like, "ooh... she's good I guess... but she's not So-and-so." This was like, "Monica IS Michelle Trachtenberg. :)

      Thanks for the luck, I shall need it. :)

      God bless!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, something different. Fantasy. I wouldn't have thought it of you. I thought I was all lonely on my flight of Fantasy excursions, surrounded by sisters who were *into* fiction. Hackers. Historical. Crime. THAT kind of fiction. It's nice to see someone else is going for the Fantasy kick! I hope you enjoy the ride. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat-- Sweetie, I love fantasy. I just got really frustrated when my fantasies sounded like fiction with magic. Ya know? (Like Jess Zapp. Remember? LOL)

      I'm getting more and more 'cited now. :)

      Delete
  5. How fun! I have decided not to do it, simply because I don't think I quite understand all that is involved in it yet. I need to sit down with my other NaNo friend and have her spill it out to me. PLUS, juggling writing another book and editing a whole series does not make for a very condusive imagination....... I'm brain dead most nights. :D So, I'll bow out gracefully (if I can be gracefull, lol) and I hope you have tons and tons of fun! Keep us updated on it! Would you be interested in doing a guest post over at my other blog (I know you've seen what they are so I don't need to explain) about NaNo? I have the first two weeks of Nov. planned out, but maybe the third Tuesday or something? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you would decide not to, I have done the same thing. Basically it's just a get-up-and-go for you, so it forces you to write. The goal is 50,000 words in a month, which is about 2000 a day, give or take a paragraph.

      Ummm, can I think about it? I'd love to, but I get ridiculously nervous over things like that, so yeah. Let me think about it and I'll get back to you. Kay? :)

      God bless!

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the, "I don't really have a plot this NaNo club." We have tee shirts.

    Writing 50,000 is a terrifying thought but when one sits down and starts it is easier then when just a thought. I know you can make it. I shall be cheering you on. *Grin*

    I am very very glad you like the book cover!

    Also, VERY nice start on your word count! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want a t-shirt!

      Awww thanks, Jack. And I shall be doing the same for you. *gets pompoms*

      Squeal! I was so excited when I got to three-thousand! xx

      Delete
  7. I signed up for NaNo yesterday. I have no idea what I'm doing. Actually I'm procrastinating and reading blogs instead of writing :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol you put it off even longer than I did. :) Me neither! We can not know together!

      And YOU should be writing. *points to exit button*

      Delete

Oooh, hello! Are you going to leave me a comment? You must, I insist: your thoughts are appreciated!

I am the queen of replying to comments, so if you leave me one, I shall reply post haste. Plus! If you click on that little "Notify me" button, you'll have all follow up comments plopped right into your inbox. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by, darling.