Sunday, June 17, 2012

Oklahoma!



    I love broadway musicals. The Phantom of the Opera, H.M.S. Pinafore, Pirates of Penzance, Oklahoma... They're super fun to watch.

    A few months ago, my sister bought the 1999 stage production of Oklahoma! with Hugh Jackman starring as Curly.


                             Josefina Gabrielle as Laurey Williams


                                 Maureen Lipman as Aunt Eller.


                   And Shuler Hensley as the very, very creepy Jud Fry.



    We've been putting off watching it because it's three hours long and.... that's a really long time. But we decided to watch it last night.

It

was

awesome. 


   I think it was one of the best live performances evah. There were times during it when I was thinking, "This is a Broadway production, right? It's not a movie, right?" I mean, they had some incredibly choreographed fight scenes which looked real. Very real. Bloody noses and everything. (I have mentioned in previous posts how much I just love fight scenes in movies...)

    Hugh Jackman has a brilliant voice. And he's a really good stage actor, he's not stiff or forced, and he said his lines very naturally.





Who knew Wolverine could sing?









    Oh yeah, I definitely recommend it. We fast forwarded Jud Fry's singing soliloquy because it was weird. And there was a "dream" sequence which we also fast forwarded as there were creepy dancers.

    But watching that left me going: I want a cowboy!


       



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oooh, hello! Are you going to leave me a comment? You must, I insist: your thoughts are appreciated!

I am the queen of replying to comments, so if you leave me one, I shall reply post haste. Plus! If you click on that little "Notify me" button, you'll have all follow up comments plopped right into your inbox. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by, darling.