Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

Happy Independence Day to everyone!



Almost everybody (in the United States, at least...) know the first verse of The Star Spangled Banner. (You ought to if you're an American! If not...learn it.) But I think...the fourth verse is one of my favorites. 

"Oh, thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand,
between their loved home, and war's desolation.
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven rescued land
praise the Power that hath made, and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause, it is just.
And thus be our motto: "In God is our Trust"
Then the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave, 
O'er the Land of the Free, and the home of the brave."

You have to admit, those are pretty awesome lyrics. And call me biased--I probably am-- but I think Americans have one of the coolest national anthems in the world. (One of the hardest to sing, too. But hey...)

Righty, I'm off to celebrate. Barbeque, games, listening to patriotic music, like Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue, God Bless America, American Soldier, all that stuff. :) ... and s'mores tonight. 

Brownie points to anyone who knows who wrote the The Star Spangled Banner. WITHOUT googling it! 



God bless, 

~~Treskie~




4 comments:

  1. Yay!!!!!!! I found that verse a few months back and was like this: 0.0

    I LOVED it! We should sing that verse with the first verse. Frances Key Scott! (I didn't Google it) ;)

    And YES!!! Our anthem is DEFINITELY the neatest out there! I mean, it's not praising ONE person as in Britain: "God save the king/queen". Or "To arms, citizens,
    Form your battalions,
    Let's march, let's march!
    Let an impure blood
    Water our furrows!" as in France! Seriously, that is just a scary anthem. (I am still SHOCKED that France is still using the La Marseillaise for their anthem! I mean it was used during the French Revolution!)

    Ours is SOOO much cooler and actually has good words. Plus it has SUCH a cool back-ground story to it's being written! *sigh* We ARE so blessed!

    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the Australian national anthem isn't too bad. But I agree, you have a pretty cool one. :)

    We have some Americans living with us at the moment, so we actually celebrated 4th of July here (yesterday--time zone differences) an now I actually know what a s'more is! Yay! I feel so... cultured. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's cool, Mime. How did you like your s'more?

    Good post, Treskie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna- lol I agree, France's national anthem is scary. :) (And it was actually Frances *Scott Key*, but I'll give it to you anyway because you got all the names, even if they weren't in the right order. :)

    Mime- oooh. Aren't s'mores yummy? (If...very messy. And they must be eaten with coffee, because they are rather sweet.)

    Kat- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Oooh, hello! Are you going to leave me a comment? You must, I insist: your thoughts are appreciated!

I am the queen of replying to comments, so if you leave me one, I shall reply post haste. Plus! If you click on that little "Notify me" button, you'll have all follow up comments plopped right into your inbox. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by, darling.